View Notice Full Notice Information
Union City Redevelopment Agency (“UCRA”) Request for Proposals From Law Firms or Attorneys Interested in Serving as “General Counsel” for the UCRA For the Period January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016
Pursuant to the Fair and Open Process described under N.J.S.A. 19:44A-1, et seq., the UCRA seeks Requests for Proposals (“RFPs”) from law firms and/or attorneys licensed to practice law in the State of New Jersey that wish to provide general counsel and litigation services to the UCRA, as directed by the Executive Director and Commissioners for a contract period beginning on January 1, 2016 and ending on December 31, 2016. All candidates are required to comply with N.J.S.A. 10:5-31 et seq. and N.J.A.C. 17:27 as amended (Affirmative Action). Each candidate shall submit proof of business registration with the New Jersey Division of Taxation (P.L. 2004, C.57). The successful firms must have significant experience in representing New Jersey municipalities, redevelopment agencies, and experience with grant-funded construction projects administered through the New Jersey Schools Development Authority. The successful firm will provide the UCRA with legal guidance relating to, but not necessarily limited to:
1. Legal research and/or advisory opinions as needed, provide legal advice and guidance as required;
2. Research and draft ordinances and/or resolutions;
3. Represent the UCRA in litigation in federal and state courts and administrative forums;
4. Review and/or draft contracts, bid specifications and legal notices;
5. Attend all public meetings of the Commissioners, meet with the Executive Director and attend project meetings, upon request;
6. Must have knowledge of real estate procedures and the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Act, the Local Public Contracts Law, the Local Lands and Building Laws, Local Redevelopment and Housing Law, and municipal law, and such other laws and regulations governing the operations of the Redevelopment Agency; and
7. Any other matters as directed by the UCRA.
Each candidate shall submit proof of business registration with the New Jersey Division of Taxation (P.L. 2004, C.57) and must comply with the Affirmative Action requirement contained at N.J.A.C. 17:27 et seq.
Professional Information, Qualifications and Proposals
Copies of this standardized submission requirements and selection criteria are on file and available from the Office of the City Clerk. Each interested firm shall submit the following information:
1. Name of Firm;
2. Address of principal place of business and all attorneys’ and/or firm’s offices and corresponding telephone and fax numbers. Please note specifically which attorneys will be assigned to work with the UCRA;
3. Areas of Practice;
4. Description of firm’s attorneys’ education, experience, qualifications, number of years with the firm and a description of their experience with redevelopment projects, including projects that are grant funded through the New Jersey Schools Development Authority;
5. Experience related to representation of public entities in an urban environment;
6. At least four (4) references, three (3) of which must have knowledge of your representation of a public entity;
7. Examples of your record of success representing public entities in an urban environment;
8. The firm’s ability to provide the services in a timely fashion (including staffing, familiarity and location of key staff);
9. Cost details, including the hourly rates of each of the individuals who will perform the services, all expenses, taking into account that the UCRA will not pay more than $150.00 per hour for the services of any attorney;
10. Statement of corporate ownership (c.52:25-24.2).
The selection criteria used in awarding a contract or agreement for professional services as described herein shall include:
1. Qualifications of the individuals who will perform the tasks and the amounts of their respective participation;
2. Experience and references;
3. Ability to perform the task in a timely fashion, including staffing and familiarity with the subject matter;
4. Cost competitiveness; and
5. Due consideration will be given to familiarity with the UCRA and its officials for which general counsel services may be necessary, as well as ongoing development projects.
Sealed RFPs will be publicly opened by the Union City Clerk in her/his offices at City Hall, 3715 Palisade Avenue, Union City, New Jersey 07087, on December 11, 2015 at 1:00 o'clock p.m. The RFP must be received no later than the above stated time and date to:
Dominik Cantatore, Acting City Clerk
City of Union City
3715 Palisade Avenue
Union City, New Jersey 07087
Please submit one original and three (3) copies of the RFP. Use white 8 ½”x11” paper and mark clearly, on the outside of the envelope: “Response to Request for Proposals-General Counsel-Union City Redevelopment Agency-Public Open” on December 11, 2015.
Issue Date: 12/01/2015
Issue Time: 12:30 PM
Submission Date: 12/11/2015
Submission Time: 1:00 PM